The Township’s Comprehensive Zoning By-law is a set of regulations that govern land uses that implement the policies set out in the Official Plan. Zoning By-laws dictate what type of development can occur on a property, building setbacks, development restrictions, lot size and dimensions, parking requirements, landscaping and buffering, accessory buildings and much more.
For additional information on zoning by-laws, click the following link to access the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing’s Citizen’s Guide to Zoning By-Laws (PDF).
Housekeeping Zoning Update IV (File Z-2018-11)
August 15, 2018 6:00 PM
South Stormont Town Hall, 2 Mille Roches Road, Long Sault
The Township is undertaking a housekeeping update of Zoning By-Law 2011-100 and is looking for public input on the proposed changes which include, but are not limited to:
- Introducing use definitions and zoning provisions for cannabis-related development such as production and processing facilities;
- New provisions and standards to facilitate the establishment of secondary dwelling units (commonly known as “granny flats”) within single detached, semi-detached, duplex and townhouse dwellings or accessory buildings;
- Technical corrections/updates to zoning schedules concerning various properties throughout the Township;
- Updates to certain sections of the Zoning By-Law in order to address errors and/or improve wording.
The following documents can be reviewed in advance of the public meeting:
- Notice of Public Meeting
- Proposed changes - Cannabis production facilities
- Proposed changes – Secondary dwelling units
- Secondary Units Information Sheet
- Proposed changes – mapping updates
- Proposed changes – Other
Please send any comments or concerns to email@example.com or call 613-534-8889 ext. 217
Comprehensive Zoning By-law 2011-100
The Comprehensive Zoning By-law 2011-100 was passed on December 14, 2011 and is posted below in PDF format.
Please be advised that the following information and schedules are provided for reference purposes only. Please contact the Planning Department directly should you require clarification on a specific property. Zoning compliance letters and/or written confirmation of a land use can be obtained upon written request, and payment of the appropriate fee. For more information please visit our services page.
Zoning Schedule (last updated February 2018)
Housekeeping By-law III (By-law No. 2017-068), passed by Council on August 9, 2017, is in effect as of September 5, 2017 and can be viewed by following the link below. The housekeeping by-law should be read in conjunction with Zoning By-law 2011-100.
A zoning amendment is a process where a property owner can apply to add or change a use on their land. All zoning amendments must be in conformity with the Official Plan. Zoning Amendments are decided by council, and are subject to a public meeting. Before filling out a zoning amendment application, it is advisable to meet with Township Staff.