Public Consultation, Requests or Complaints

The Township's Customer Feedback Policy states, "Integrity is the foundation of public service and our shared values supports this in the Township's Strategic Plan. As Township employees, we are proud to perform our work with: Transparency, Impartiality, Respect and Accountability." 

You are welcome to provide comments, requests or complaints; please complete the Request / Compliant Form and forward to us through any of the following channels:

E-mail Staff: General Inquiries or Contact Us
Phone Staff: 613-534-8889 or 1-800-265-3915

Contact Council: Please see phone numbers and email addresses on our Mayor & Council Page
Fax: 613-534-2280
Mail: PO Box 84, 2 Mille Roches Road, Long Sault, ON  K0C 1P0


Municipal Ombudsman 

As of January 1, 2016, if a municipality does not appoint a Municipal Ombudsman, then the Ontario Ombudsman becomes its default Municipal Ombudsman.  The Township of South Stormont has not appointed a Municipal Ombudsman and therefore the Ontario Ombudsman currently functions as the Municipal Ombudsman for for the Township of South Stormont. 


The Municipal Act, 2001 defines the Municipal Ombudsman's responsibility to report to Council on an  investigation of "any decision or recommendation made or act done or omitted in the course of the administration of the municipality."

In 2014, the Province introduced and passed Bill 8, which amended several pieces of legislation effective January 1, 2016, including the Municipal Act, 2001, and Ombudsman Act, 1990 (the "Ombudsman Act').The Ombudsman Act has been amended to expand the jurisdiction of the Ontario Ombudsman to include municipalities, municipal boards and their agencies. With the inclusion of the municipal sector under the jurisdiction of the Ontario Ombudsman, the Ontario Ombudsman by default becomes the ombudsman for a municipality that does not have a Municipal Ombudsman as of January 1, 2016. While a municipality will not be required to appoint its own Municipal Ombudsman under recent changes to the legislation, if a municipality does not appoint a Municipal Ombudsman, then the Ontario Ombudsman becomes the Municipal Ombudsman.

I am not satisfied with the response from South Stormont, how do I file a complaint with the Ombudsman?

Visit the Ombudsman's website for full details, including the required submission form or contact the Ombudsman's Office directly:


complaints staff are available 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. You may also leave a voice message outside of office hours.
Toll-free (inside Ontario only): 1-800-263-1830
Outside Ontario: 416-586-3300
TTY(teletypewriter): 1-866-411-4211

Calls with the Ombudsman's Office may be recorded for quality assurance and training purposes and/or to ensure an accurate and exact record.